Technology has made the world crazier and complex. The technological transformations are key drivers of almost any business. The sooner that this is realized then it can be addressed. Before we get into our main subject, it is vital to recognize that fundamental key drivers of change are digital transformation.
Interestingly, nowadays every business is behaving like a technology startup. It is a widely accepted fact that those companies that embrace this change are more competitive than the others. I guess you heard that right. Basically, companies have been revolutionizing usage of products and services thus propagating digital transformation. Let’s discuss transformations driving IT today.
IT infrastructure transformation
Increase in technological capability makes it more complex. IT experts are adding micro-services, cloud infrastructure, and server-less computing but by doing this they are not solving the fundamental problem. This explains why technology is moving faster while the business is not. Read on to fully understand what this is all about.
• What is IT infrastructure transformation
It is the completeness of an organization’s IT systems which involves changes to network architecture,storage, and accessibility of data,software, and hardware. The transformation influences what gets automated, workflow, business rules, and the corporate culture. Naturally, the primary goal of IT infrastructure is to change IT department to being more proactive which can promptly respond to changing business requirements.
• How do we adequately transform Infrastructure?
At an advanced level, IT infrastructure transformation is all about becoming more efficient in budget allocation and resource to new projects and managing daily infrastructure in a cheaper and easier way. The following are some high-level goals for IT transformation:
- Multi-generational architecture: Demand in scale leads to new deployments in its frequency. Change in demand must ensure that predictability of data access must remain constant since infrastructure remains around it.
- Multi-cloud data management: This must be automatic. Single architecture can consolidate multiple clouds through a selection and specific cloud service.
- Immediate deployment: There are multiple technologies that can speed up storage such as SDS and storage infrastructure deployment.
What is the role of software development? DevOps is changing the delivery of IT operations to be more responsive and agile. Site reliability engineers and software as service engineers need to be respectful and responsive to the demands of customers and software teams.
Devops is gradually gaining momentum as are devops tools and technologies that support it. The following are fundamental for DevOps success:
- High–trust cultural norms
- Architecture that is testable and deployable
- Technical practices that include continuous delivery, continuous integration,proactive production monitoring, and automated deployment.
This requires an admirable level of conviction and courage. Since it is difficult to change an organization’s architecture and culture. The emergence of an identifiable ecosystem in DevOps space is elevating the state of the practice. Therefore, continuous monitoring and management from dev and ops are essential for digital customer experience.
Steps to successfully start
Consider these steps for smooth transformation.
• Start at the right time at the right place and time
Decide where you plant seeds of change to grow future DevOps experts. Then, you need to consider choosing areas where technology is web oriented and cloud. Lastly, you need to look for an area where your team will feel empowered. By doing this they will drive the change.
• Observe and orient
Measure and observe how things are working. Source for data and create a baseline. Do just enough.
• Decide and act
Do smoothing something different and fix problems.Pay attention to the data and always go back to the drawing board.
Don’t be rushy give the team enough time. They need to use tools and new process several times.
This involves developing DevOps toolchain. In the modern world, the metrics must be consolidated and the tools must be collaborative. The information provided by the tools must provide more contextual insights. The relationships between metrics, devices, and systems must correlate with system topology.
There is a massive demand for tool consolidation and IT operation automation which is key in improving efficiency and productivity across the teams. DevOps toolchain is used in more stages of the lifecycle as discussed below:
- Planning: It involves releasing a plan and timing in relation to business value and application requirements.
- Creating: This is composed of coding, building, and configuration of the software development process.
- Verify: It directly involves the quality of software release which is purposed to ensure code of quality is maintained.
- Packaging: It involves intermediate activities done once the release is ready for deployment.
- Release: Activities involved includes: fallbacks and recovery, scheduled release, release coordination etc
- Configuration: Upon the deployment of software there is the need for configuration and infrastructure provisioning.
- Monitoring: This is an important aspect in DevOps toolchain. It allows for the identification of specific issues of releases which is key in understanding the impact on end-users. Generally, DevOps tools fit into activities which supports DevOps initiatives.
I have exclusively covered what is paramount in key transformations driving IT. The world is evolving day in day out, for you to stay on track you need to stay updated on what is happening.